Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Special Occasion? Bacon Bouquet!

I've had a request to share how I make a bacon bouquet. Yes, nothing says, "You're special.",  "I love you.", or "Thanks!" like a dozen bacon flowers.


The hardest part of this is modifying a pan that will cook the bacon flowers. I had my hubby take an old muffin tin and drill holes in each cup in the tin. He used a large drill bit (I have no idea what size... it was big.) to get the job done. The holes are key as they allow the grease from the bacon to drip out of the bottom of the muffin tin so that the bacon can cook. Take a slice of bacon, roll it up, hold it together with a toothpick, and place it in the tin. Once you have a dozen raw bacon slices prepared, place the muffin on a rack which fits inside a baking sheet. The rack will allow the grease to drip out of the muffin tin and into the baking sheet which catches all the grease. Place the bacon in the oven on 350 and cook until done (~30 min? I can't remember how long it takes.). I also recommend flipping the bacon half way through so that both ends are evenly cooked. USE CAUTION when taking the bacon out of the oven. If you're not careful, the grease will spill and burn you.... or make a mess. Neither is fun.

Once the bacon has cooled, take a long wooden skewer and secure each bacon flower onto the skewer (the skewers are the stems!). Place them all together, wrap in parchment paper, and tie the paper together with a ribbon. Bam! There's your bacon bouquet!

Pan I use with drilled out holes...


I first made one of these for Dan's 39th birthday. It was a hit! Here's a happy Dan!

No comments:

Post a Comment