Sunday, October 2, 2011

Bread for Eric

I have a friend, Eric, who is in the Air Force and flies all over the world every month. He's gone (flying) more than he's here which makes eating  clean a huge challenge. Most of his time is spent in the plane (he flies the big one... not sure what it is called but it is so big that he once sent me a photo of a helicopter INSIDE his plane. He was transporting it from one continent to another which is the sort of thing he does almost every day.). We were chatting about strategies for helping him eat clean while working and one of the biggest (easiest) things he likes to eat are sandwiches. Of course this made me cringe and got me in the kitchen ASAP to see what I could come up with before he flies out on Tuesday.

I used a recipe from Elana Amsterdam's, "The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook". Here is her recipe for sandwich bread:

3/4 cup creamy almond butter
4 large eggs
1/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground flax meal

Preheat oven to 350. Grease loaf pan with grapeseed oil and almond flour. In large bowl, mix almond butter and eggs until smooth. In medium bowl, combine almond flour, arrowroot, salt, baking soda, and flax meal. Blend dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients and pour into pan. Bake for 40 min, let cool for 1 hour before removing from dish.



This recipe was easy to follow without a lot of extra or unusual ingredients. I actually already had everything I needed in my kitchen. I had flax seeds which I put in my Vitamix Blender to convert them into flax meal... it worked great! Of course, the dish I used was slightly too big so my bread came out a little on the short side but it tastes pretty good! The texture is like bread and there is no smell of almond butter (I was worried about that). Hopefully this will help Eric stay on track while serving our country! The below photo is Eric hitting the Hero WOD, Schmalls, on Memorial Day 2011... of course, he did it in proper attire.



I'll be sure to post later and let you know what Eric thought of the bread.  :)

Stay Paleo, yo.
C-

1 comment:

  1. He liked it! His post to KCF on Oct 7th...
    "Greetings from Spain!! CrossFit Rota: Tabata double unders: Lowest round was 9. Two rounds I got 15 and one round I got 14 (totally excited about that). @Caroline…the bread was perfect…exactly what I needed!"

    ReplyDelete