Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Waffles! Yes, waffles!

First of all, I'm in no way saying paleo waffles are gonna give you the six pack abs you've been dreaming of or that they're actually solid nutrition for your body. If leaning out is your goal, you probably don't even want to continue reading the rest of this post...

I was at the grocery store yesterday trying to buy some link sausages for my son. Usually I buy him the Applegate Chicken and Sage Breakfast Sausages but I was at the grocery store that doesn't sell Applegate products <gasp!>. So I went over to the meat section (not the frozen foods section) and there were link sausages right beside the other cuts of beef, pork, and chicken! I thought I would try these sausages instead as they looked good and fresh. As I browsed, I was careful NOT to pick up the "Maple" flavored (1. too sweet 2. maple belongs on waffles, not in meat. this includes bacon too.). So I grabbed a package of regular sausage, flipped it over and glanced the ingredients just to make sure they were legit. Guess was the number two ingredient was?!?! High Fructose Corn Syrup! DAMN IT! So I put it back and my seven year old did not have sausage for breakfast this morning.

Instead, he chose to make waffles (Disclaimer: I'm a paleo parent. I switch things out when I can but my kids are in no way 100% paleo, nor do I care for them to be at this point in their lives. They are young and take pleasure in enjoying a slice of pizza at their friends' birthday parties, etc. They do get plenty of veggies and fruit, are aware they need a "protein source", and that fat is good for them. Maybe more on paleo parenting in a future blog post?). Back to the waffles.... Instead of the frozen, cardboard-like junk that most seven year olds eat, we choose to make ours... paleo style!

We use almond flour to make them. There are numerous kinds of almond flour and I've tried a bunch. Every kind that I have purchased in the grocery store, seems to be too "grainy"... it's a texture thing. The almond flour in the stores isn't ground fine enough and as a result, it has more of a corn cake texture instead of a waffle or pancake texture. My kids won't eat them. Then my BFF, Emily, told me about Lucy's Kitchen Shop. Lucy's grounds their almond flour so fine that the texture is perfect for baking and waffles! My kids cannot tell the difference between Lucy's almond flour and regular wheat flour. SCORE!

Emily and I doing what we do best... sun and wine!

They sell their almond flour in 5# bags and have it shipped to your doorstep the day after you place your order. They're also super friendly on the phone. They're located in WA, but I've had their products shipped to NC too and they arrive on time, fresh, and perfect! I store the unused almond flour in the refrigerator or the freezer to keep it fresh. In case you're wondering how much almond flour is really in a 5# bag, I attached the picture below to show you (Note, due to the weight and next day shipping, it is expensive to ship.).

5# bag of almond flour

Here's the recipe for the waffles (or pancakes). This recipe is via Emily too! Love her!

2 cups almond flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
8 large eggs
4T honey
2 t vanilla 

So easy a 7 year old can do it.

Finished product! Of course to stay true to our paleo roots, we top it with 100% pure maple syrup. This recipe makes ~10 thick waffles. I usually let the extra waffles cool down, then place them in a zip lock bag in the fridge. The kids eat them for a few days after making them by taking them out of the fridge, placing on plate, and popping them in the microwave for 12 seconds. Yes, 12. That part is very important.... my nine year old daughter came up with it and insists it is crucial. No more and no less than 12 seconds in the microwave.

YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment